Our range of home and body care products are developed with the commitment to respect and celebrate Life.
All of our products are cultivated, handmade and processed by our team of artisans and community members.
Our soap bars, castile liquid soaps and laundry powder are strictly plant based and chemical-free.
All soap is results from a chemical reaction called saponification. This is the chemical reaction that occurs between lye and oil such as olive oil, coconut oil etc. At Ricky’s Drift our soaps are made using the cold process method. Sodium hydroxide (lye) is mixed with water and then blended with fatty oils. Herbs are added before the mixture is poured into a mold. It is left there for 24 hours to saponify (become soap).
Once removed from the mold the loaf is cut into individual bars. The soap is left to ‘cure’ for 4 to 6 weeks. During this time the lye is used up to break the oils down and release their cleansing and moisturizing properties. The water content slowly evaporates, leaving a gentle and firm bar of soap. Using the cold process method allows for more gradual saponification.
Besides the exact quantity of oil needed to make the soap we add an extra 5% of oil which is not used up during the saponification process. This is called ‘superfatting’. The extra oil remains intact which makes the soap hydrating and moisturizing.
Aqua (sourced from the pristine mountain water found in Vanwyksdorp), saponified olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and sunflower oil, locally grown and processed herbs. And of course lots of love and attention to detail.
Olive oil: Is gentle and moisturizing. It helps to soften the skin texture and hold moisture without interfering with natural skin function.
Coconut Oil: Is an excellent moisturizer. It helps remove dead skin cells and dirt away from the body.
Castor Oil: Helps produce a rich creamy lather. It attracts moisture to your skin so it stays smooth. It also has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Sunflower Oil: Is a great source of vitamin E as well as being rich in nutrients and antioxidants. It has excellent emollient properties helping the skin to retain it moisture.
1. Aloe Vera: This soap is made with locally grown and hand processed aloe vera leaves. It is soothing and moisturizing making it ideal for sensitive skin.
2. Rooibos Tea: Is enriched with antioxidants which boost the production of healthy skin cells. It is also known to have anti-itching properties and has a soothing effect on eczema, psoriasis and heat rash.
3. Pomegranate seed exfoliation bar: Exfoliating your skin removes dead skin cells from the upper most layer of skin allowing moisture to penetrate deep into the skin to prevent dehydration. The pomegranate seeds help to unclog pores leaving your skin feeling clean and fresh. Pomegranates are rich in vitamin C and are also packed with antioxidants which assist in delaying signs of aging.
4. Cannabis Leaf: Our cannabis leaves are sourced locally. They are grown outside in the pristine environment of Vanwyksdorp, making full use of the available sunshine. No pesticides or chemicals are used. Plants are trimmed when they are at their peak. Cannabis leaves contain significant levels of essential vitamins, antioxidants and minerals making our soap healing, soothing and hydrating.
Liquid Castile Soaps
Castile soap is a 100% plant-based soap containing NO animal fats or synthetic ingredients. It is natural, nontoxic and biodegradable. Castile soap was made in the Mediterranean area and then spread to Europe.
Traditional castile soap is made from pure olive oil and gets its name from the Castile region of Spain.
These days any soap made with vegetable based oils is referred to as castile soap. At Ricky’s Drift our liquid soap is made in the traditional way, using only cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.
This incredible product is environmentally friendly while being useful and effective. You can use it on your body, to clean around your house and even on pets.
Basic Ingredients: Aqua, saponified olive oil, vegetable glycerin, pure essential oils.
1. Fragrance free: Pure castile soap with no added essential oil. Ideal for people who have a sensitivity towards essential oils and fragrances.
2. Lemongrass: Scented with pure lemongrass essential oil. This is a refreshing liquid soap, perfect for using in the shower. A little bit squeezed onto a sponge lathers up nicely and leaves your body feeling fresh and tingly.
3. Lavender: Scented with pure lavender essential oil. A perfect blend for leaving in your bathroom for hand washing. Cleansing and moisturising, filling your bathroom with the much loved scent of lavender blossom.
4. Vanilla: Scented with a vanilla blend. A wonderful warm, calming and comforting and comforting fragrance.
We use the same cold process method on our shampoo bars as is used to make the soap. The same oils are used, but in different proportions.
One of the big plus factors of shampoo bars is that they have no plastic packaging, making them a zero waste product.
To use a shampoo bar rub it between your hands to create a lather. Gently massage it into the scalp and hair as you would with a liquid shampoo. Rinse out and repeat if needed.
Our natural shampoo bars are gentle and moisturizing. They contain 100% natural ingredients and are chemical free, bio-degradable and eco-friendly. All of our soap and shampoo bars are ethically made, by hand, in small batches.
Most people report positive results after just 1 – 2 washes. In some instances at least 3 – 4 washes might be needed to remove the previous products from the hair.
1. Rooibos: Is known to help prevent hair loss as the active ingredients help remove dead skin cells. Rooibos contains beneficial minerals such as zinc, calcium and potassium which are essential for hair growth. The antioxidants contained in rooibos promote shiny and soft hair.
2. Chamomile: Promotes healthy, shiny hair. It contains anti-inflammatory compounds which alleviate itchy, dry scalp that can lead to dandruff.
Our enriched face cream contains only natural ingredients. No petrochemicals or preservatives are used in the making of this cream. It is easily absorbed into the skin, and is wonderfully moisturising without being greasy.
All of the ingredients have been carefully chosen for their skin enhancing and health promoting benefits.
Almond oil: Makes up the base of the product. Almond oil is full of vitamin E which helps keep the skin smooth and soft, vitamin A which is deeply penetrating and cleansing, mono-saturated fatty acids which assist in retaining moisture, protein, potassium and zinc.
Beeswax: Heals and softens the skin and has antibacterial properties.
Cocoa butter: High in fatty acids which help to hydrate and nourish the skin. Contains phyto chemicals, which protect the skin form sun damage.
Coconut oil: Great for moisturizing the skin and increasing skin elasticity. Packed full of antioxidants protecting the skin from damage. Coconut oil also contains lauric acid which has antimicrobial properties.
Jojoba: Deeply hydrating and easily absorbed into the skin. Doesn’t evaporate easily so moisturising benefits are long lasting. Full of beneficial nutrients which nourish and protect the skin.
Flax: Besides the hydrating properties flax is anti-inflammatory which minimises skin irritation, tissue inflammation and redness.
Evening primrose: Effectively addresses inflammatory skin conditions. Reduces skin itching and redness.
Vitamin E oil: A naturally derived oil with antioxidant benefits. Blocks free radicals which helps to slow down the aging process by helping to reduce wrinkles and fine lines.
Rosehip: Loaded with skin-nourishing vitamins and essential fatty acids.
Our laundry powder is very concentrated and economical to use. For a normal sized load of washing, use 1 or 2 tablespoons of powder. It is suitable for use in automatic machines, twin tubs and is also ideal for hand washing. It effectively removes stains if the garment is soaked in hot water and laundry powder for a few hours before washing.
Ingredients: Aqua, Saponified coconut oil, washing soda.
Coconut oil: Saponified coconut oil is super cleansing making it the perfect choice for laundry powder. Soap is an emulsifier, all this means is that it creates an environment in which oil and water can mix. Soap suspends oil and dirt so that it can be washed away.
Washing soda: Is a laundry booster. It acts as a solvent to help remove stains and also helps treat hard water by binding to the minerals found in it.
Our powder is natural, biodegradable and economical making it the perfect choice for your whole family.